Primary storage is the type of storage and technologies used to store and retain digital information that is actively used by end-users. Primary storage data is frequently accessed by applications or other hardware systems and business users.
Type of Storage consider as a Primary Storage
Nodeum recognizes NAS and Cloud Storage as a primary storage.
Connect your Primary storage to Nodeum. To help you following these steps :
- Go to Settings - Hardware - Storages and add your storage
- Go to Storage Services - NAS : create your target (only for NAS Storage)
- Go to Storage Services - Pool and define your primary storage pool for NAS Storage and Cloud Storage
Mount of Primary Storage
Nodeum manages to have all Primary Storage always mounted.
How it works ?
The mounting can be done on two different ways :
- either from the GUI, you can click on the button and the system will mount the storage
- either you can let the workflow manage the mount ; this is doing when the task is executed. The task control and perform this action.
Note : These 2 manners to work is able to work in the same time because they are process independent. The first option is to let the workflow manage the parsing. When you select the source entries in the task, the the system will parse recursively.
Status visible for each pool :
1- "On" means Online. The primary storage is mounted and accessible by Nodeum
2- "Off" means Offline. The primary storage is not mounted and not accessible by Nodeum
You can click on the button to mount the storage. If the storage do not mount see the XXX
For each target NAS you create, you can easily add specific mount option. To help you, you have a dropdown menu which provide a lot of different options. The most used is to define the size of the chunks of data when being transfer.
How primary storage parsing is done ?
1. Parsing during the workflow execution, this parsing is done during the task creation and when the task is executed ; the parsing process is multithreaded and allow a dynamic discovery of a primary storage. At each execution the system will discover new data recently stored.
- Get a accurate view of what is in the primary storage
- Do not overload the primary storage with unnecessary discovery actions
2. Parsing for doing an inventory of a "unknown" storage.
- Get insights from a primary storage without requesting to execute a data movement workflow.
In the tool, you will have content indexed in the catalog, you will get information from dashboard, trend & reports. This is very useful for taking strategic decision in regard to how data management and data lifecycle needs to be configured.
Once, you have analyzed these informations, you will be able to go to the next step and start to apply data movement tasks.
How manage the renaming of a mount point ?
When you are facing to rename a mount point, you have to (after the creation of the new mount point) :
- Unmount the previous mount point not existing on the Primary Storage
- Delete in the Console administration : the previous target (not available on the Primary Storage)
- Delete in the Console administration : the previous pool which refers to the previous target
- Check the task which need to run with the right pool reference